Best of Spain & Portugal end Barcelona (Winter 2020-2021)
Brochure Type: 2020 2021 Europe Winter
Follow the fortunes of the Spanish, Portuguese and Moorish Kingdoms as evidenced in their grand castles, stupendous religious buildings and incredible works of art.
- Porto: Sample a selection of famous Port wines at a tasting at the Vila Nova de Gaia wine stores.
- Lisbon: Delight in a taste of the famous Portuguese delicacy, Pasteis de Belem.
- Seville: Tables are reserved for dinner, drinks and a fiery evening of Spanish dance and music! Get ready for throbbing guitars, lamenting solos, colourful dancers and the rhythmic stomp of flamenco.
- Torremolinos: Taste a selection of freshly pressed olive oils with locally made farmer bread when you stop at Almazara, the oldest olive grove in the region.
- Torremolinos: Hear the stories of local life as you are invited into the home of a local family to join them for a freshly prepared, traditional lunch, with wine.
- Valencia: Learn the authentic recipe of paella when you join a local chef for a Cooking Demonstration. Savour the flavours of this classic dish for dinner, washed down with a glass of Sangria, during your Highlight Dinner.
- Sant Sadurni d'Anoia: Join a wine expert when you visit Cava Dorada. Enjoy a tasting at the great Cava vineyards during your delicious Highlight Lunch.
- Barcelona: With fantastic sea views, be seated for an exceptional Catalan Celebration Dinner incorporating classic cooking with only the freshest produce.
- Dining Summary: 14 Buffet Breakfasts (BB), 2 Lunches with Wine (LW) and 6 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with wine tea or coffee. Festive Highlight Dinners: 20 Dec Christmas Day in Lisbon & New Year's Eve in Valencia. 27 Dec New Year's Eve in Lisbon.
- Madrid: Witness the world's finest collection of Spanish paintings plus an impressive foreign collection as you tour the Prado Museum with an expert art historian.
- Seville: Visit Cristina Heeren Foundation, a beneficiary of a TreadRight Foundation grant. This private dance school is dedicated to promoting the conservation of flamenco and supports young enthusiasts from all over the world with a special focus on new talent from the Andalusian region. Feel the passion behind the choreography as you put your rhythm to the test during a dance lesson. Later, share in the dancers' devotion as you witness emotions come to life in a flamenco performance.
- Granada: Best interpreted with the help of a Local Expert, the Alhambra Palace is the ultimate in Muslim architecture, an arabesque fantasy in stone, complemented by the gardens of the Generalife.
- Madrid: With your Local Expert, travel along the Paseo de la Castellana and see the Cibeles Fountain, the Royal Palace and the monument to Cervantes in the Plaza de Espana and cross the Puerta del Sol.
- Segovia: Walk the medieval streets of this fortified city with your Local Expert and see the 14th century Alcazar Palace.
- Salamanca: See the handsome arcaded Plaza Mayor, the honey-coloured cathedral and the 16th century university buildings as you explore the city with your Local Expert.
- Porto: See the iconic bridges and buildings decorated in tiles.
- Fatima: Join the faithful at one of the world's holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of the Apparitions.
- Obidos: Lead by your Travel Director, walk through the picturesque narrow streets up to the main square of this ancient walled town.
- Lisbon: Explore with your Local Expert, from the Lower Town, beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco. Visit the Belem Quarter to see the modern Monument to the Discoveries and the ancient Belem Tower.
- Lisbon: Visit the Jeronimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal's trade over the centuries and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Seville: From the Moorish Patio de los Naranjos, guided by your Local Expert step inside the cathedral and pass the altarpiece dripping with gold, to the Tomb of Columbus, held aloft by four kings.
- Seville: Alongside your Local Expert you will visit the Giralda Tower and lead you through the streets of the Santa Cruz Quarter to the Alcazar.
- Gibraltar: With your Local Expert, explore the Rock of Gibraltar, one of the pillars of Hercules, affording magnificent views and see the meeting of the Atlantic, the Mediterranean and the Spanish Sierra. Visit St. Michael's Cave and see the Barbary Apes.
- Mijas: Journey to this white-washed village and stroll the streets to admire the coastal views.
- Alfarnatejo: Visit the beautiful, quiet town and walk the town centre to see the 18th century Iglesia del Santo Cristo de Cabrilla.
- Granada: Explore 'The City of the Pomegranate' with a Local Expert. During sightseeing you'll see the icons dedicated to this fruit throughout the city.
- Valencia: See the ultra-modern Centre of Arts and Sciences and the huge gates of the old town, Torres de Serranos and Torres de Quart.
- Peniscola: See the castle featured in the film 'El Cid'.
- Barcelona: A Local Expert will show you the narrow lanes and old squares of the Barri Gotic, the Gothic Quarter. View the lively Las Ramblas, see the wrought-iron street lamps and Modernist buildings as you travel along Passeig de Gracia.
- Barcelona: A Local Expert will take you inside Gaudi's extraordinary masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia, to admire the beautiful architecture.
- Scenic Drives: Enjoy the scenery as you travel along the River Douro, Costa del Sol, through the Provence of Malaga, across the Sierra Nevada and along the Costa Dorada.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2020
- 15 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Madrid||Welcome to Madrid.: Your transfer will depart Madrid airport at 09:00, 11:00, 13:30 or 16:00. Join your Travel Director at 18:00 for a Welcome Dinner in a local restaurant and get to know your fellow travellers over a beautiful evening of delicious food and wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
Barcelo Torre de Madrid.
|Day 2||Madrid||Madrid of the Bourbons.: Enjoy sightseeing with your Local Expert as they take you along the elegant Paseo de la Castellana, passing Madrid's most famous fountain in the Plaza de Cibeles. Your drive continues to the Royal Palace and the monument to Cervantes in the Plaza de Espana before crossing the Puerta del Sol. A highlight of your trip is a visit to the magnificent Prado Museum with an art historian to admire the paintings of Velazquez, Goya and many others. (Breakfast)|
Barcelo Torre de Madrid.
|Day 3||Salamanca||Segovia and Golden Salamanca.: Travel to the fortified city of Segovia where you will walk through the medieval streets from the ancient aqueduct to see the magnificent Alcazar fortress. Journey west, passing the ancient walls of Avila, en route to Salamanca. During your orientation see some of the golden stone buildings the city is famous for, including the handsome arcaded Plaza Mayor, the honey-coloured cathedral and the 16th century university buildings. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Alameda Palace, Salamanca.
|Day 4||Porto||Porto, Grande Dame on the Douro.: Cross the Portuguese border to reach Porto, situated on the River Douro and celebrated internationally as the capital of Port wine. Visit the Vila Nova de Gaia wine stores that house the famous wines and walk along corridors of casks. Get to know your tawnys and vintages during a tasting. Continue your exploration of the city, admire the multi-coloured houses and churches covered in glazed tiles, as well as the iconic bridges (or 'Eiffel Towers on end' according to one Frenchman). (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
NH Collection Porto Batalha.
|Day 5||Lisbon||Holy Fatima, Ancient Obidos and Lisbon.: Head south for a visit to miraculous Fatima. See the Basilica or visit the Chapel of the Apparitions, which commemorates the appearance of the Virgin Mary to three young shepherds in 1917. Journey to the fortified town of Obidos and walk inside its walls, exploring the narrow, medieval streets with houses covered with flowers. Your travels continue to the Portuguese capital, Lisbon. (Breakfast)|
Dom Pedro Lisboa, Lisbon.
|Day 6||Lisbon||Lisbon and the Age of the Great Discoveries.: Sightseeing with a Local Expert takes you along the spacious avenues of the Lower Town and beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco, the finest square in the city. Visit the Belem Quarter from where sailing ships once set forth to discover unknown lands. Enjoy a taste of the famous Pasteis de Belem from a traditional patisserie that has managed to hold on to the secret recipe of Portugal's finest pastry for almost 200 years. View the modern Monument to the Discoveries and the more ancient Belem Tower. This fortress was originally set in the middle of the river, but is now left high and dry on the riverbank. Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Jeronimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture. With the afternoon at your leisure, perhaps join an Optional Experience to the Portuguese Riviera? It is often visited by surfers, occasionally royalty, and even James Bond. (Breakfast)|
Dom Pedro Lisboa, Lisbon.
|Day 7||Seville||Seville, the City of Carmen.: Leave Lisbon via the modern Tagus Bridge and cross the border to reach Seville. With your Local Expert, visit the immense cathedral to see the Tomb of Christopher Columbus and the slender Giralda Tower, the former minaret of the Great Mosque. Explore the labyrinthine Santa Cruz Quarter and see the Alcazar. (Breakfast)|
Ayre Hotel Sevilla (Superior Rooms), Seville.
|Day 8||Seville||Free Time and Flamenco in Seville.: Enjoy a relaxed start and a day to relax, shop or continue exploring this fascinating city at your own pace. Our suggestion is to join an Optional Experience to the ancient city of Cordoba, where you will visit the magnificent Mezquita, see the old Jewish Quarter, and enjoy some free time to shop or explore as you wish. Visit Cristina Heeren Foundation, a beneficiary of a TreadRight Foundation grant. This private dance school is dedicated to promoting the conservation of flamenco and supports young enthusiasts from all over the world with a special focus on new talent from the Andalusian region. Feel the passion behind the choreography as you put your rhythm to the test during a dance lesson. With some free time for dinner, head next door to Triana market and stroll through the many colourful stalls where vendors are selling tapas made from fresh, local produce. Why not grab yourself a refreshing sangria for a cheers to your new found dancing feet? Later, share in the dancers' devotion as you witness emotions come to life in a flamenco performance. (Breakfast)|
Ayre Hotel Sevilla (Superior Rooms), Seville.
|Day 9||Torremolinos||Head for Gibraltar, the Costa del Sol and Mijas.: Head south to Gibraltar, part of mainland Spain yet an overseas territory under British control since 1704. With your Local Expert, visit the Rock of Gibraltar and St. Michael's Cave to see the Barbary Apes, legendary guardians of the colony. Relax as you travel the scenic route along the Costa del Sol through exclusive resorts where the rich and famous holiday. Your journey continues through the green hills to the white-washed village of Mijas. Stroll through the old streets and gardens and take in the views of the coast. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Melia Costa del Sol, Torremolinos.
|Day 10||Costa del Sol||At Leisure on the Costa del Sol.: Enjoy the following day at leisure on the sun-drenched Costa del Sol. Relax by the blue Mediterranean waters, stroll along the promenade, savour the specialities in the local restaurants or consider exploring Malaga, the birth city of Picasso. (Breakfast)|
Melia Costa del Sol, Torremolinos.
|Day 11||Granada||Dining with Locals and the Alhambra.: Travel to the oldest olive grove in the region and stop at the rural mill-factory of Almazara to taste a selection of different oils with locally made farmer bread. Continue to Alfarnatejo, a quiet white washed village with a population of just 500 people and surrounded by stunning mountainous landscape. Walk the town centre to see the 18th century Iglesia del Santo Cristo de Cabrilla. In small groups, you are invited into the home of a local family to join them for a delicious Highlight Lunch made of fresh, local produce with flavours typical of the region. Continue to Granada to visit the magnificent Alhambra Palace with your Local Expert. Built as a citadel by the Moors in the 13th century, it is a wonder of beautiful gardens, fountains and stone cut like lace. (Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)|
Vincci Albayzin, Granada.
|Day 12||Valencia||On to Valencia.: Journey to Valencia, the City of Arts and Sciences. Pass through the Old City and see its ancient gates. In your free time perhaps take a stroll to the Cathedral and El Miguelete? Or sit back with a drink and watch the Valencian's go about their day. Valencia is home to one of the world's greatest dishes, paella. Meet the chef of a local family-run restaurant in the heart of the old town and learn the traditional recipe during a Cooking Demonstration, before savouring the delicious flavours of this classic dish, washed down with a glass of sangria, during your Highlight Dinner. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 13||Barcelona||Along the coast to Peniscola and on to Barcelona.: Follow the coast to Peniscola to view the sea-lapped castle used in the film 'El Cid'. Continue along the Costa Dorada to the Cava Bodegas at Sant Sadurni d'Anoia. During a delicious light lunch, enjoy a tasting as you learn the sparkling secrets of Spanish bubbly. Continue along the coast to reach Barcelona. (Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)|
Barcelo Sants, Barcelona.
|Day 14||Barcelona||Barcelona Sightseeing.: A Local Expert joins you for a drive along the Passeig de Gracia adorned with elegant wrought-iron street lamps and some of the most flamboyant Modernist buildings. Continue through the Eixample district to visit inside Gaudi's extraordinary masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia. See the central nave with its giant, tree-like pillars, spectacular vaulting and the beautiful rainbows flooding in through the intricate stained-glass windows. At a local restaurant, join your fellow travellers to toast newfound friends and a wonderful journey as you enjoy a Celebration Dinner with wine. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Barcelo Sants, Barcelona.
|Day 15||Barcelona||Depart Barcelona.: Your journey ends after breakfast. Departure transfers arrive at Barcelona airport at 07:00, 09:00 and 11:00. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. (2) Solo Traveller Savings: There is a 25% reduction to the Single Supplement on these departures, subject to availability. Visas: Guests requiring visas for the UK will also need a separate visa for Gibraltar, please speak to your Travel Agent at time of booking. (1a) Festive Highlight Dinners: Christmas Day in Lisbon & New Year's Eve in Valencia. (1b) Festive Highlight Dinners: New Year's Eve in Lisbon.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class
From $3,475.00 (USD)
Tour Type: Regional JourneyBrochure Type: 2020 2021 Europe WinterFollow the fortunes of the Spanish, Portuguese and Moorish Kingdoms as evidenced in their grand castles, stupendous religious buildings and incredible works of art.